Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rode with the Gliders this morning (Wednesday). Did I mention this one guy who I call Lizard Lips? He seems like a pretty ok dude, but those freakin lizard lips give me the willies. Got a couple of lectures from another guy during the ride.

Apparently I was going to fast leading at the beginning of the ride even though I was adhering to their 21 mph speed limit. Evidently people need a warm up phase even though everyone biked to the meeting place beforehand. I personally hate long warm ups. I think they are a waste of time and energy. When I ran track and lifted weights I usually just did the barest minimum of warm ups. Just show up and do the shit, that's what I say.

Later I was in front with the same dude in a double paceline. I wanted to ride faster so I kept inching ahead. This is a big no no in group ride etiquette, known as "half-wheeling". Apparently the average rider's mental state is so precarious that having your bike wheel one scintilla in front of theirs in a double pacelinne causes great mental duress.

I knew I was doing it, but I was bored and wanted to go faster. Finally, he pipes up and says we should try to ride with our handle bars side by side. I said nothing.

In the homestretch on Millhopper Rd I pulled fairly hard for about 5 minutes through the hilly section. I was able to successfully reattach to the back of the group of what was now down to 4 other dudes.

I did another one minute pull with about a mile to go before giving up the ghost and getting dropped. I probably should have tried harder to hang on.

No comments:

Post a Comment