Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Had to drop off my car at the Honda dealership on Main this morning. I biked home on the Cortina. Around 2PM I went for my ride on the Sempre. I did the Race Track loop. I was feeling pretty good. Maybe the bike fitting helped. The wind was only 4 mph according the weather app so I wasn't having to battle that for a change.

I check my times every 7.5 miles and about halfway through I realized I had a shot at beating my all time best. Usually I'll switch into a higher gear if my cadence goes over 95 rpm's. Today though I didn't switch gears as much and just focused on fast pedaling.

Another thing that was good was my heart rate was up in a higher range and I was going faster. The last several rides I seemed to have become fatigued before my heart rate really got up that high. Maybe my legs were just a little over trained and needed some rest. I have been biking less due to the cold snap.

I passed the animal corpse on the route and surprisingly it still stunk. My butt was getting a little sore in the saddle, but not as bad as previously.

Anyway, I was in the last quarter of my ride. I was on pace to ride my best time and I still felt pretty good. It was all going to depend on the 441/53rd ave intersection. If I was hung up at a red light for 1-2 minutes then it probably wasn't going to happen. Otherwise it seemed like money in the bank. Four miles from the stopping point my tire went flat. I later discovered I had run over a piece of wire or an industrial staple or something.

It took a few minutes to get the tire off the rim. Getting the new tube and tire back on wasn't too bad. Then I took out the CO2 cartridge and thought I was home free. Without going into details I proceeded to clusterfuck the cartridges. I was on the phone with my wife to pick me up. Suddenly some dude in a truck pulled up and gave me a lift to the Honda dealership. I picked up the car and drove home.

That guy was pretty cool. Maybe he has a blog called Lone Motorist of the Apocalypse. If not, he should.

No comments:

Post a Comment