Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Trainer

Monday I was on a tight schedule so I broke out the trainer for its first session. It was 40 degrees out. I set up on the porch.  It was absolutely brutal. Within 10 minutes I was dripping sweat. I took off my t-shirt and gloves. The trainer was good. It was quiet and the pedaling was smooth. The thing I didn't realize was it is impossible to bike at the same watts on a trainer as on the road.

I had planned for riding for 27 minutes to replicate my Monday ride in Brooker. Last time out on the road I averaged 224 watts. On the trainer I only managed 172 watts. Not only that but those 172 watts killed me. Towards the end I was actually making this whimpering crying noises. I had to break the ride down in smaller minute increments and will myself  through each portion.

From reading online I gather that this is a common phenomenon. There are several reasons. The main one seems to be in the weaker 'dead spots' of the pedal stroke (the 6 to 11 o'clock part) the trainer wheel is still decelerating the bike tire at the same rate. This is unlike road biking where that doesn't occur as appreciably, thus allowing momentum a greater role in carrying the pedal through the dead spot. I did indeed feel my hamstrings working a lot harder to deliver the pedal up to the top.

This morning biking to work was a minefield of cars, pedestrians, debris. I had to slow down, swerve out into the grass, go out into traffic. I was running late as it was. Somehow I caught mostly green lights which helped my cause considerably. On the way home some dude passed me as I was crossing the intersection of 8th and 34th st. I was kind of tired and wanting to get home so I just tucked in right behind him and drafted off his ass all the way through 16th ave. I'm sure he found my close cycling annoying but everyone who knows me knows I'm not one to turn down free speed.

Did I mention my car is in the shop?

No comments:

Post a Comment