Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Glider ride today. We did the loop through Alachua today. It was about 40 degrees and my hands and feet were suffering. Within a couple of minutes The Semi ran over an exacto knife blade which totally lacerated his tire. He was done for the ride and had to call his wife to pick him up. The tire itself had a big gash in it. Boss Hogg had showed up for the first time in weeks and preceded to pull at the front for the first 20 minutes. Classic Boss Hogg. It was just as well because the only other people were the Parakeet, the Ride Captain and  2 B-17 riders from a couple of weeks ago.

Turning north on to 241 there was a decent headwind. The dude (B-17er) in front was struggling, going 16mph. After he dropped back I sped it up some. I was doing over 300 watts for a couple of minutes going over hills into the wind. A bunch of riders were dropped. And by dropped I mean they were way far away. I couldn't even see them when I turned around. How did this happen in the span of a few minutes?

It's hard to gauge how fast to go into a headwind because as the lead rider I am working a lot harder than the others but they are exposed to it too. Also it doesn't help that I have a small frame and lean way over tucked down by the drops so the person behind me doesn't get much shielding. Anyway after the group reconstituted it was Boss Hogg and I taking turns leading the rest of the way.

My other rides of the past week were solid efforts. No records set or anything but no problems. I did my usual routes, Millhopper, Hawthorne and Racetrack. Rode the Hawthorne trail solo. I didn't see a soul for the first hour on the trail. Still working on getting my cadence back up to where it was before a started riding in harder gears.

This weekend Virginia and I biked  some on the Hawthorne trail as well as downtown to eat, which was something we hadn't done in a while.

December starts tomorrow so I'll restart my monthly assault on all my power records. I never did best my 5 sec mark from October but I nailed all the other ones.

Practiced changing my tire today. It took a little longer than I would have liked but I'll try it again tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment