Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Glider ride today. Boss Hogg was absent, but the Dad and the Kid reappeared. As did the Guest Lecturer. Remember that Duetsche Bank from a couple of months ago?

Anyway we were doing the 27/41 loop. We were supposed to go to a double paceline when we hit this county road, but nobody did for some reason. I confirmed the original plan with the ride captain and then rode up to the front to pass along that info. They looked at me like it was news to them even though we had all agreed on doing that 20 minutes ago. Honestly I don't know what got into me. I really don't give a crap. It's like every once in a while I'll get a wild hair and actually strike up a conversation with someone. It almost always ends in an awkward disaster because I'm socially inept at anything other than discussing the incongruity of the epic scope of Molly Hatchet album covers versus the lameness of their actual music.

So the ride was going Ok. Right before the big hill the Dad took off on one of his fly-by's. I let him go. Then the Guest Lecturer pulled up next to me and started pushing the pace. Typically people who want to ride harder on the hill are welcome to, but this blazing it up before the hill even starts is a new development. Anyway we ride together for a little while then he passes me. I'm not going totally apeshit up the hill but it was a solid effort.

Fast forward 10 minutes later I'm at the front again getting ready to go up the I-75 hill. Once again the Dad starts to blow by me. At first I let him go then I'm like "Fuck you, Dad" and I get out of the saddle and start going hardcore on his ass. I catch him at the top of the hill. He's all like "I'm dropping back to check on my boy".

Now I realize that everyone that was behind me is way back there. They all got dropped when I accelerated up the hill. So I'm on my own (cue Michael McDonald). A couple minutes later Guest Lecturer, the Semi and San Diego (this woman from San Diego) catch back up and we all ride the last 4 miles in together. At some point frickin' Skeletor caught up and did his typically sprint to the finish. I thought about going with him, but it just seemed undignified.

No comments:

Post a Comment