Saturday, March 12, 2011

Well I was going to participate in this 15 kilometer time trial put on by the Gainesville Cycling Club. People show up, they stagger the starts by 30 seconds or so. It's an out and back course. The cyclists can't get to close to each other unless they are passing (ie no drafting).

Anyway it seemed kind of cool so I drove over to the meeting spot even though it was 40 degrees. I swallowed a caffeine pill and took a couple of hits off my Primatene Mist. I was ready to start poppin' spokes. I rolled up thinking "let's light this candle!"

There I was told that the course was 18 miles away from the meeting spot. It would take over an hour to get there. So this was looking like a 3 hour plus event. I had to be at work later and there was just no way.

Jesus, cyclists really know how to suck up the time. Man that's what I miss about running. You just show up, do the shit and you're good to go.

Anyway I called BS on the time trial and went to do my Millhopper loop solo. Saw my man Mark Ou in the Publix parking lot getting ready to run with some friends. He looked like a badass sporting this Fu Manchu beard and white arm sleeves. He asked about riding Hawthorne with us sometime. It could be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment