Sunday, January 23, 2011

V and I rode to Leonardo's Sunday morning to meet my mom for brunch. The ride took hardly any time at all. Maybe 15 minutes. Mom's rode her bike to Dee-lites ice cream shop the other day. That's 6 miles round trip from her house so not too shabby for someone who was too embarrassed to ride in front of people a month ago.

Went to B&M later to cancel my order for a speed sensor. I had ordered it because I thought the power meter alone would not keep accurate speed. It turns out the meter is pretty right on. Luckily Paul was there. I hung out while he spoke to a couple about biking apparel. He even asked my opinion on arm warmers at one point (for 'em!). They had a mountain bike sitting there with the insane monster truck tires which was pretty awesome. I stared at the Bianchi Pista fixie which is marked down to $560. I part of me wants one, but it would be impractical for just about all of my riding.

Anyway Paul said he would send back the sensor. I've made a mess of things with bike computers lately, but Paul has been totally cool. I know if someone came in to the pharmacy and caused me that much headache I'd be pissed.

Later I did something called a functional power threshold test on the Sempre. I went out to an uninterrupted stretch of 441 and rode hard for about 20 minutes. The idea is to get your average watts riding all out for 20 minutes and then use that figure to base how hard you should be riding for different types of work outs. I came in at 197 watts. I was biking fairly hard. Not being chased by wild animals hard, but it's as good a place to start as any.

No comments:

Post a Comment