Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's been a few days since my last post. I've had computer problems (virus and hardware), my leg problem flared up and I had a few turnaround shifts. All of which makes posting difficult. Also I've been partying with V.

Mechanical problems of late. Got another flat on the Sempre riding the Millhopper loop. Changed the tire and just aborted the rest of the ride. Had trouble getting the wheel back on the bike. It kept rubbing on the brake. Man was I pissed. Same day I noticed the Cortina tire was also rubbing on the brake. Took them both to B&M Sunday. The Cortina had a broken spoke. It seems to get a lot of those. Sometimes I wish I still had my sickass 1979 red Schwinn Scrambler with the dope yellow mag wheels. Those fuckers never broke. I had all the pointless BMX pads. I was always popping wheelies and doing curb jumps. I broke my wrist on that bike trying to touch my wheel to another kid's wheel while riding. The day I got my cast off I slipped in mud looking for arrow heads and broke it again.

The students are back in town (think of how less rocking that Thin Lizzy song would be with that title). I made some pretty loco swerves on Glenn Springs road and 34th ave Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning to get around kids and traffic.

I rode Millhopper on the Sempre again Monday but my time was slow as hell. Plus there was a leaf stuck in the frame that the front tire keep rubbing on and the noise annoyed the shit out of me.

So the prostate problem has died down, but now the leg problem has flared up. It's the spinal nerve problem where I have pain, numbness and zapping referred into my lower right leg. Awesome! I'm debating whether to try to schedule an appointment to have another nerve block. Maybe it will ease off on it's own. I go on vacation next month (up north to NYC etc- Church tour) and I don't want to be miserable. Anyway it's just a reminder that I can't go too nuts riding on the bike (or virtually any other activity) or it will flare up the leg problem.

My most enjoyable rides of late have been with V. We've been riding downtown to the Top and Boca Fiesta. She pedals like a demon going up hills. It's cool to look over and see her smiling while cruising down the road. Plus she is really conscientious about hand signals which I know you'd appreciate.

My mom rode on the Hawthorne trail with her boyfriend (Brian) last Monday. She had a good time. She told me she needs to work on her shifting to get up the hills. Brian ordered a fixed gear Felt from B&M the other day.

I went to B&M yesterday to get my Power Tap installed. Unfortunately they didn't get all the parts they needed so they put on the new wheel only to have to take it off again and put the old one back on. It's no big deal. Between having my esophagus dilated this morning and the rain this afternoon riding is not really an option. While at B&M I was talking to Keith. Just shooting the breeze. It was kind of awkward. It was then that it hit me. There is a key difference between hanging out at the bike shop and how I used to hang out at the record store. I don't really know dick all about bikes and don't really care to. However at the record store I had strong opinions and could launch into a 20 minute diatribe about say the key differences between black metal and death metal.

Speaking of which on the way to the doctor's office this morning Virginia was singing along to a Magnetic Fields song. It reminded me that she sang chorus in high school. When I was in high school I just jumped around in my room playing air guitar to Iron Maiden tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment