Friday, May 27, 2011

Well if you had every thought, "I wonder if Christian has sufficient bicycle handling skills to accelerate through a 90 degree turn at 23 miles an hour?" I can unequivocally tell you no I do not. I was doing my Racetrack loop. I have these periodic 5 minute spurts of more intense riding during the route. The 5 minutes weren't quite up yet and I was nearing my turn. Plus there was a truck in the right hand lane of the street I was turning on to.

So I was going faster than normal trying to make a tighter turn than normal. Also instead of just shifting my body weight to the outside pedal I kept pedaling. Midturn I realized I couldn't make the turn tight enough. I hit the brakes, lost traction and wiped out. I dragged my bike to the side of the road and laid down in the grass. The dude in the truck asked if I was ok and stayed in his truck for a minute. V drove over and picked me up.

I was bleeding and bruised but nothing is broken. The chain came off the ring but the bike is ok. It was shaping up to be a pretty good ride. I'm going in to work, but I won't be able to bike for a few days. Hopefully I won't wake up tomorrow totally effed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment